ESPN.com’s Scott Burnside does a nice roundup of each team’s roster situation and likely moves (except he assumes each team is run by Bob Clarke and they will stop at nothing to re-circulate some former players) as the NHL moves into this new era.
Ducks ask to interview Phantoms coach Stevens
Flyers general manager Bob Clarke confirmed that he has received a request from the Anaheim Mighty Ducks to interview Phantoms coach John Stevens.
A number of television networks have pleaded with the National Hockey League to have access to the coming draft lottery.
However, the NHL, already overburdened with far too much publicity and an even greater amount of public goodwill, has imperiously rejected all of those pleas.
Saturday, July 23
• Period for initiating compliance buyouts begins
• Period to negotiate and sign 2003 draft picks begins
• Period to extend qualifying offers begins
• Period to negotiate with own club’s restricted and unrestricted free agents begins
Thursday, July 28
• Deadline to exercise club and player options for the 2005-06 season
• Deadline to sign 2003 draft picks (if not signed, 2003 draftees will re-enter the 2005 draft)
• Deadline to make required bona fide offers to 2004 draft picks
Friday, July 29
• Deadline for initiating compliance buyouts
Saturday, July 30
• Entry draft
Sunday, July 31
• Deadline to extend qualifying offers
Monday, Aug. 1
• Free-agent signing period begins